Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The art of the handwritten letter...out of style or all the rage?

Hello blogworld,

I wonder about a lot of things. Some important, like the crime rate and some not so important like when one of my cats stares at a spot on the wall I wonder what they are looking at, which is nothing. But what I've been wondering about lately is the art of letter writing. Not writing an email, sending a message on Facebook, text or Twitter. But sitting down and actually putting pen to paper to send a letter or thank you to someone. Back in the day, this is the only way people communicated. It was how families, friends and even lovers communicated. By the way, nothing is hotter then a love letter. Now I am not saying that I don't love technology...hello I do have a blog after all. I have had an entire relationship come and go via texting. I've probably Googled just about every person I know. But there is nothing like opening the mailbox and there amongst all the magazines and junk mail is a little envelope written in hand. Who could it be from? Who actually took the time to sit down and write me, ME a note? It's just so exciting.

Now, I feel that it's my personal mission in life to bring back or at least help support to the best of my meager ability the lost art of letter writing. Many other people feel this way. There are many books out there full of tips and trick and quotes and just about everything a person would need to help them do the thing we've been doing since birth...communicating with another actual, live person. And there is, of course, Hallmark which writes the words for you.

Many people don't take the time to write a thank you note or a letter because they are afraid of, gosh, I don't know, maybe their handwriting sucks or they are a bad speller. Fear not, all you need to make someones day is a few simple words written from the heart. Hello, I was thinking of you today. Dear so and so, I had a blast this past weekend. Thanks for the digs.

Now many of my friends could tell you that I could run a small stationery store out of my home and that I'm a pen snob, but that's just my weirdness. I am a pen snob and I do have a ton of stationery, some cheap and some expensive (some is monogrammed) but that's just me. Your friends, your family, your grandmother would pee their pants to see a handwritten note in the mail...from you. It doesn't need to be on fancy paper. Plain white paper would be fine, although once you've written on fine paper, you won't want to go back. Start with a thank you note because then you have a reason to write. Thank you Grandma for the pink fuzzy slippers. I love wearing them when I am hungover. Okay maybe you don't need to be that specific, but I think that you get the point. If you go to Emily Post's website, there is a standard format for writing thank yous.

So I challenge you to write someone-anyone a handwritten letter and smack .44 cents on it and stick it in the mail. You will definitely make the recipient's day. Give it a whirl!!!

Leave me a comment on if you write letters or if you don't, why not? Or share with me your favorite memory of a handwritten note. Mine are two small slips of scratch paper which were wrapped probably around a ten dollar bill from my mother when I was in college. "come home and visit us, we miss you. This is for you." They are written in pretty handwriting and when I read them, I can almost hear her voice. She's been gone a long time now, so they are very important to me.

Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment